boards manager

• Am I right that the D1 mini pro boards still do not have a boards manager entry for arduino?

• @gbales

Right. Use the setting for "WeMos D1 R2 & mini". The current IDE can't use more than 4MB of flash so only 4MB of the 16MB on this board is usable until the next re-write of the Arduino IDE.

• @roo-ster said in boards manager:

@gbales

Right. Use the setting for "WeMos D1 R2 & mini". The current IDE can't use more than 4MB of flash so only 4MB of the 16MB on this board is usable until the next re-write of the Arduino IDE.

Just curious, has the memory issue been resolved for the Mini Pro 16mb?

• @marine_hm

has the memory issue been resolved for the Mini Pro 16mb?

No. As this video explains, some of the developers left the project and joined Espressif. There's a pre-release of version 2.4 available, but the 4MB flash limit is still in effect.

• @roo-ster
    Any update to the memory issue?
    I have about 6 D1 mini's. I ordered 2 more Pro's to play with and a Lite just to see how much I can squeeze onto one.

Still unsure about the ESP32 just yet. Will be great when libraries are created and released on Github.

• @marine_hm

The 4MB limit is still in effect and I have no idea when larger spaces will be accessible. I have a couple of D1 Mini Pros, but my interest was in the external antenna, rather then the Flash space.

• @roo-ster
    My interest with the pros was for the external antenna as well. But wanting to learn how to update the Wemos "OTA" which as I understand, needs double the space to write updated sketch 1st and then delete the old one. So, i guess I will have to keep my sketches at around 40% of the existing memory for "OTA" updates to work?
    2 D-1 Mini Pros, relays and antennas due to arrive in my mailbox any day now.

• Received 2 Mini Pros and 1 Mini Lite in the mail last week. Another Mini Pro into service. How do YOU hold it still while you solder the 0ohm antenna resister?

Still no updates to utilize the added memory. : (

Finally, I sprung for the ESP32 just to have a look, try to make something of it. Learn how to use the Bluetooth.

• @marine_hm said in boards manager:

How do YOU hold it still while you solder the 0ohm antenna resister?

I orient the board so the pinky on my left hand holds the board down, while I manipulate the shunt with tweezers held between my thumb and forefinger. I hold the soldering iron with my right hand.

It is tricky. While I was doing this on one board the resistor went flying, never to be seen again. I used a small piece of wire to bridge the pads.

• @roo-ster
    Any progress on the memory usage in Arduiono.ide for the Mini Pro? My ESP32 finally arrived. I gave it to my wife for MY stocking stuffer.

• @marine_hm

I not doing anything where I've need more memory but, regardless, this can only be resolved by the Arduino IDE team.

Looks like your connection to WEMOS Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.